Protocol and Conferences Division
The Office of Protocol is the principal interface between foreign representatives and Barbados Government representatives and agencies. The Chief of Protocol of the Government of Barbados has oversight for the Office of Protocol and the delivering of the following services:
- Accreditation of diplomatic and consular representatives to Barbados.
- Coordination of State and Official Visits.
- Assistance in the coordination of State and Official functions involving the Diplomatic Community.
- Administration of Privileges and Immunities granted to foreign representatives and international/regional organisations in accordance with the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations and the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations and various Headquarters Agreements.
- Negotiation and processing of Headquarters Agreements and Memoranda of Understanding for international and regional organisations accredited to Barbados.
- Extension of courtesies to visiting Heads of State, Heads of Government, Heads of Mission and other official guests of the Government of Barbados.
- Arrangements for the extension of courtesies to Barbadian officials travelling abroad.
- Accreditation of Barbados’ diplomatic and consular representatives overseas.
- Arrangement of appointments with the Governor-General, the Prime Minister and the Minister of Foreign Affairs on behalf of visiting Foreign Dignitaries and Accredited Heads of Foreign Missions.
- Management of the Government’s diplomatic VIP Lounge
The term ‘protocol’ refers to the observance of long-standing rules and traditions, which allow for good relations between countries and for the orderly conduct of business between nations. Simply put, it is a recognised system of international courtesies.